Tips for Dealing with a Tranquilizer Charge

Posted By Karen on Aug 26, 2019 | 0 comments

Many of us are familiar with the legal repercussions that come with drug possession. But when we think about these drugs, we normally think of the more common substances such as marijuana or cocaine. These drugs, however, are not the only substances that you can get in trouble for having in your possession.

Believe it or not, you can get in trouble for having tranquilizers in your possession. Don’t let the word tranquilizer trick you — it refers to common substances used to control anxiety, such as Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, Valium, and more.

If you’re caught with a prescription tranquilizer that isn’t yours, you may face criminal charges. Keep reading to learn more about the charges you’re facing and how to best respond to the allegations.

A Quick Note…

Make sure to recognize that the laws regarding the possession of tranquilizers vary from state to state. You should check the specific laws in your state to get a better understanding of your particular situation. This blog post will be talking about tranquilizer laws in the most general sense possible, but again, you should research the specific regulations where you live.

Penalties for Tranquilizer Possession

Those convicted of possessing prescription tranquilizers without a prescription can face a variety of different penalties. In some states, for example, a conviction can lead to up to a year in jail as well as a hefty fine and the suspension of your driver’s license for a certain period of time. Again, it is important to research the particular penalties in your state.

These aren’t the only penalties associated with unlawfully possessing tranquilizers, however. Other penalties that could come with your conviction are a probation period, frequent drug tests, and the creation of a criminal record.

A criminal record can have a lasting impact on both you and your future. Many individuals with criminal records have trouble finding employment and even housing. Students with criminal records have difficulty finding scholarship to pay for their schooling or even getting accepted into schools themselves.

What to Do

If you have been charged with unlawfully possessing a prescription tranquilizer, the first thing you should do is to reach out to an attorney with experience handling a case like this, like the Powderly Law Firm. An attorney will be able to represent you in court and defend you against the charges against you. In many situations, an attorney is able to get the charges dismissed — saving your reputation and keeping you from having a criminal record.

You may believe that you should save money and represent yourself — but this is not a good idea. Attorneys have been specially trained to represent their clients to the best extent possible, and it will be easy for the state’s prosecutors to trip up someone without an attorney with little to no knowledge of the legal system.

Besides, being convicted can lead to you having to pay hefty fees that may be even more expensive than legal representation. Help yourself and reach out to an attorney as soon as possible.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *